A four year old typically:
- Likes being read to and knows about books.
- Knows some alphabet sounds.
- Recognizes sounds that are the same and sounds that are different.
- Recognizes some printed letters and numbers.
- Understands there are three parts in a story-beginning, middle, end.
- Listens, follows directions, and can focus on a specific task.
- Takes turns speaking in a conversation.
- Often has some books memorized.
- Can recognize rhyming words.
As you read to your child:
If you have been reading 20 minutes a day with your child from birth, you have given your child almost 400 hours of pre-literacy experience. By now, your child may insist on reading together daily. Your child may prefer to hear specific kinds of books and will enjoy sharing favorite stories again and again ….. and again.
Books for children 4 years old
- Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear? by Nancy White Carlstrom
- Friends by Helme Heine
- The Owl and the Pussycat by Jan Brett
- Counting in the Garden by Kim Parker
- Cookie’s Week by Cindy Ward
- The Cat on the Mat by Brian Wildsmith
- Color Zoo by Lois Ehlert
- If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura Joffe Numeroff
- Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
- Bug Safari by Bob Barner
- Jump, Frog, Jump! by Robert Kalan
- Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes